H E N D R Y ’ S B E A C H
As far as the County of Santa Barbara is concerned the name is Arroyo Burro Beach County Park, named after the Arroyo Burro Creek that enters the beach there. To locals it is still Hendry’s Beach, named after Scottish immigrants, William and Anne Hendry, and their children, who owned a farm next to the beach from the 1890’s until about 1918. It has been called Hendry’s beach for more than 100 years.
In 1947 the State of California sold the County 6 acres that was to become the park and they leased 6.8 more acres. In 1968, the County received the leased land as a grant from the State. In the 1990’s a private land trust donated an additional acre for parking.
Great for waves, local surfers refer to this beach as “The Pit.” Great for dogs, a part of the beach is designated an “off leash” area. To find the leash-free zone of the beach turn left. After crossing the slough it goes east to the end of the Douglas Preserve. Read More→